Vista + USB Problem

Problem: USB hardware not found.
Device Manager: Show all USB working n installed correctly.

When plugging any USB hardware like USB removable storage, External harddrive with USB… all not shown in My Computer.

Anyone could help? This happen suddenly, used to work find on few days ago. Nothing being done.

How about others non storage USB device like printer or webcam? can work? if yes then I think your PC got virus/spyware.

Try download this >> http://www.techsupportforum.com/sectools/sUBs/Flash_Disinfector.exe

1. save it ot your Desktop.
  2. After downloading, double-click on Flash_Disinfector to run it.
  3. Just follow the prompts and continue until it begin scanning.
  4. If asked to insert your flash drive or any removable device including USB Pen Drive and Memory Stick, please do so.
  5. It will scan removable drives, wait for the scan to finish. Done.

Thanks I will try.

So far I hv tried

1. Installed original chipset from the motherboard CD
  2. System Restore
  3. Remove and Installed USB at Device Manager
  4. Scan virus/spyware using AVG 8.5 and Malwarebytes (with latest update)

At Device Manager it shown the USB removable storage exisit but in My Computer it didn’t show any additional drive.

So far I hv tried 3 differences USB removable drives, USB key (aka “dongle” for some software) and 2 External harddisk box (NAS and Normal External harddisk box).

I need the USB port to work due to I got a software need to use the USB key, also need to back up some data.

The link is not working

Then try this link >> http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/Flash_Disinfector.exe

Just tried, still not working.

I hv just upgraded my Vista to SP2, but still not going to work…

Just to update, I found the solution.

First remove all the USB at Device Manager
2nd Disable USB at Bios
3rd Restart PC and let it Shutdown
4th Enable USB back at Bios
5th Restart and let it detect automatically

Finally it works.

Luckily you have P/S 2 Mouse / Keyboard.

What cause this problem ? Upgraded to Vista SP2 ?

Didn’t you install any new software/hardware that maybe could corrupt the USB registry?

Few days ago I encounter a WinXP PC that cannot even recognize a normal plug;play USB mouse or a Kingston USB drive, will ask driver for installation; after system restore it work find again.

It happens suddenly, I didn’t do anything…

I dunno, but I’m pretty sure I didn’t install anything and it happens suddenly when I found out by running my VMWARE machine and it didn’t recognize my USB dongle and USB Floppy. First I thought was my VMWARE problem, finally I check my Vista also the same.